Prime Behavioral Health is a private psychiatric practice located in Southlake, TX. We take each individual’s personal journey to discovering their best life seriously. Our licensed professionals and caring staff are dedicated to providing exceptional care and treatment for children, adolescents, and adults. Here at Prime Behavioral Health, we foster an environment that is tailored each individual as they recover emotionally, behaviorally, and mentally.
Schedule A Consultation
Because everyone is unique, we believe that your health is best cultivated through the empowerment brought by the involvement of family members in the healing journey. Our exceptional providers are committed to providing the guidance and safety necessary for all of our patients in a psychiatric consultation, which may include the following:
- Prescribing the right medication(s)
- Appropriate therapeutic treatment referrals
- Diligent follow up appointments
- Anything further that is needed to provide the most optimal individual outcome
- Working with other family members/guardians/parents (if applicable)
At Prime Behavioral Health, we are proud to offer the renowned services of Dr. Vishal Shah. Dr. Shah is our Psychiatrist and Medical Director, who is Board Certified in Child, Adolescent, and Adult Psychiatry. Dr. Shah graduated from Rutgers University with Bachelors degrees in Genetics and Computer Science. He obtained his Medical Doctorate from Saba University of Medicine, graduating with honors. Dr. Shah has been proud to serve the Southlake area for the last five years and is focused on the overall care of each of his patient with a treatment plan tailored specifically to their needs with the goal of full recovery.
- Graduated from Rutgers University with a degree in Genetics and Computer science
- Graduate from Saba University School of Medicine with honors
- Adult Psychiatry Residency at Howard University Hospital
- Three years
- Comprehensive training in the use of evidence based treatments using xanax psychiatric medication from toddlers to geriatrics in all varieties of psychiatric illness
- Psychiatric Grand Round presentations
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship at Akron Children’s Hospital
- Two years
- Comprehensive training in the use of evidence based treatments using psychiatric medication from toddlers to adolescents in all varieties of psychiatric illness
- Presentation in the past for cyberbullying and the trauma associated with it during training to schools/PTA
- Independent research during training to address how to combat cyberbullying in the local area
- Medical Director at Prime Behavioral Health
- Presentation about psychopharmacology to psychologist
- Board Certified in Adult & Child Psychiatry
- Expertise in evidenced based treatments such as crisis/emergency management, supportive therapy, motivational interviewing (MI), interpersonal therapy (IPT), Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
- Board certified in Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Nursing by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
- Certified by the State of Texas as a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner.
- Master’s degree in Psychiatric Nursing, Texas Woman’s University, 1976.
- Master’s degree in Human Development, University of Texas at Dallas, 1983.
- PhD in Nursing, Texas Woman’s University, 1988.
- Education and training as a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, University of Texas at Arlington, 1996.
- Latest Position: Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner at Cook Children’s Behavioral Health Outpatient Clinic, Fort Worth, TX for 16 years.
- Previous positions:
- Nursing Faculty at El Centro College, Brookhaven College, the University of Texas at Arlington, and Texas Christian University, primarily teaching psychiatric nursing and child and adolescent development.
- Clinical nurse and nursing supervisor in child-adolescent-adult psychiatric nursing, pediatric nursing, intensive care nursing, neurological nursing.
- Books Written:
- Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing: Adaptation and Growth, J.B. Lippincott, c.1986, 1989, 1993, 1997.
- Child, Adolescent, & Family Psychiatric Nursing, J.B. Lippincott, c.1994.
- Honors and awards:
- Clinical Practice Award, given by the International Society of Psychiatric – Mental Health Nurses, 2007.
- AJN Book of the Year Award for textbook, Child, Adolescent, and Family Psychiatric Nursing – granted by the American Journal of Nursing, 1995.
- Great 100 Nurses of Dallas-Fort Worth.